New Internet Exchange in Helsinki to improve Internet in Finland
Stockholm, 16 February 2022 - Netnod, the leading interconnection provider in the Nordics is set to launch the Netnod Internet Exchange (IX) Helsinki. This will be of great benefit to the Internet in Finland ensuring greater security, resilience, and performance for local networks.
The Netnod IX Helsinki will interconnect multiple data centres and enable rock-solid service by offering redundant routes to connected networks. Using the Netnod IX will help local networks to decrease latency, ensure redundancy and exchange Internet traffic with the networks that matter the most for their business. This includes ISPs, CDNs, mobile operators and a range of enterprise networks from sectors such as cybersecurity, gaming and finance.
Run by the leading interconnection provider in the Nordics, the Netnod IX Helsinki will also provide fast, redundant and secure interconnections for networks routing traffic between mainland Europe, the Nordics, the Baltics and Russia.
In addition, the Netnod IX Helsinki will host a new DNS node enabling improved DNS service for Finland. As the operator of one of the world’s 13 root name servers, Netnod runs DNS nodes in more than 70 locations throughout the world. These nodes ensure improved local performance both for the DNS root name server operated by Netnod as well as for the DNS services provided to Top-Level Domains and enterprises.
“Netnod already provides Finland with a DNS service for the .FI domain,” said Juhani Juselius, Chief Specialist of .FI Domain Names, Traficom. “We value the service they provide as the best available combination of service quality, new service features and price. We are delighted to see that they are expanding their Internet Exchange service to Helsinki. This will be of great benefit to the Internet in Finland.”
Netnod has been ensuring 100% uptime in the Nordics for more than 25 years operating the leading IX in 6 locations throughout the Nordics including services in Stockholm, Copenhagen and Oslo. The Netnod IX platform is the biggest in the Nordics with around 200 networks exchanging traffic.
“In response to discussions with both local and international networks, we saw a clear demand for a Netnod IX in Helsinki,” said Christian Lindholm, Head of Sales, Marketing and Product, Netnod. “By improving the exchange of Internet traffic in Helsinki, Netnod hopes to support the local Internet community and to increase peering opportunities both in Finland and throughout the Nordics.”
The Netnod IX Helsinki will be a distributed IX interconnecting multiple data centres. With more locations planned, the Netnod IX will first be available at Helsinki’s major data centres: Equinix (HE7 with cross-campus connection to HE6) and Digita Helsinki Pasila Broadcasting Tower. This will enable new and existing players to seamlessly connect and exchange traffic from day one. It also means that these networks have remote access to Netnod’s other IXes throughout the Nordics. Local networks will be able to exchange traffic with networks in Stockholm or Copenhagen and vice versa with multiple routes provided at a fraction of the previous cost.
More information about the Netnod IX Helsinki is available here.
Netnod provides critical infrastructure support ranging from interconnection services and Internet Exchanges to time services, DNS services and root server operations. With a worldwide reputation for its services and the expertise of its staff, Netnod ensures a stable and secure Internet for the Nordics and beyond. Established in 1996 as a neutral and independent Internet infrastructure organisation, Netnod is fully owned by the non-profit foundation TU-stiftelsen (Stiftelsen för Telematikens utveckling). More information is available at: www.netnod.se
Head of Sales, Marketing and Product
Tel: +46 70 164 95 46
Notes to editors
The Netnod IX platform
- The Netnod IX Helsinki will first be available on-net at: Equinix (HE7 with cross-campus connect to HE6) and Digita Helsinki Pasila Broadcasting Tower with remote interconnections to Netnod Internet Exchanges in Stockholm, Copenhagen and other locations in the Nordics.
- The Netnod IX Helsinki will provide multiple routes. Connected networks as well as local Internet users will benefit from this as it ensures improved resilience and performance.
- Netnod is the leading provider of interconnection services in the Nordics with 6 key locations across Sweden, Denmark, and Finland as well as an IX service available in Oslo, Norway.
- The Netnod IX platform is the largest in the Nordics interconnecting around 200 networks. The platform is built with multiple routes to ensure rock-solid service in any situation.
Netnod: working for the good of the Internet
- Netnod is fully owned by a non-profit organisation and works for the good of the Internet in the Nordics and beyond.
- There are 13 root name DNS servers in the world. The world trusts Netnod to operate one (https://www.netnod.se/i-root).
- Netnod provides DNS services for some of the biggest country code top-level (ccTLD) domains in the world. This includes providing DNS services to Traficom to ensure the 100% availability of the .FI domain.
- Netnod provides state-of-the-art time services including a service providing Swedish national time.