What to look for in a quality DNS service
It is often hard to define precisely what we mean when we talk about DNS services. Providers and customers have their different opinions and expectations. Misunderstandings are common and this is problematic given the central importance DNS plays in Internet infrastructure. With all the options available for procuring or setting up DNS services, where should you begin and what should you look for?
To answer these questions, Netnod and Internetstiftelsen have joined forces to provide the document available here: “What to look for in a quality DNS service”. Our intention in providing this outline is to share the knowledge we have gained over many years working with DNS services, customers and protocols.
You can download the document to learn more about:
- the difference between primary and secondary DNS services
- different update possibilities and types of zone transfer
- the importance of diversity
- how to ensure reachability and resilience
- RFC compliance
- important parameters in DNS configurations
- what to look for in a contract and SLA
You can download the document here